The main objective of COUNTERACT was to improve security against terrorist attacks aimed at public passenger transport, intermodal freight transport as well as energy production and infrastructure. The project reviewed existing security policies, procedures, methodologies and technologies to identify best practices and develop guidelines for operators which in turn were promoted throughout the relevant security community in the EU.
The following tools, among others, were available from UITP:
- Guidelines for conducting security risk assessment in public transport networks
- Public transport security planning – Organisation, countermeasures & operations guidance
- Anti-terrorism public awareness campaigns – guidelines & inspirational material
- Duration: June 2006 – October 2009
- Budget: 3,5 million €
- Coordinator: UITP, International Association for Public Transport
- Partners: M3 SYSTEMS, SAFEXPERT, DEUTSCHE BAHN, NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS, ASSTRA, JRC, DNV, ISDEFE, VTI, ENERGY SOLUTIONS, I-SEC, NLR, HASICSKY ZACHRANNY SBOR CESKE REPUBLIKY, DHL, COLPOFER, UIRR
- Type: Coordination and Support Action
COUNTERACT was co-funded by the European Commission under the 5th Research and Technological Development Framework Programme, Research and Innovation Directorate General.