- Conference & Exhibition
This year, UITP will hold its annual International Rail Forum for North America in collaboration with CUTA. The joint event will take place in Calgary, November 10-13, 2019, and will consist of the CUTA Annual Conference and Transit Show and the UITP International Rail Forum, as well as UITP's Light Rail Committee meeting.
The program is rich with a distinguished line-up of international rail executives, eager to share their experience and knowledge with peers in the US and Canada. Attendees will also have the opportunity to attend the transit show, trainings and seminars, technical tours, and familiarization with the Calgary LRT system. Conference attendees will sharpen their technical skills and get up to speed with all the latest worldwide trends in the industry.
Sunday Nov 10, 2019
10:15 - 17:00 City Tour - Banff
12:00 - 16:00 City tour by Calgary Transit
18:30 - 20:00 Welcome reception
Monday Nov 11, 2019
07:15 - 09:00 Remembrance Day opening breakfast with Calgary Transit
· Welcome by Marco D'Angelo, CEO, CUTA
· Opening and local presentations by Naheed Nenshi, Calgary Mayor and Doug Morgan, CEO, Calgary Transit
· Opening and release of 2019 UITP global LRT statistics and reports by Joao Rebelo, VP of UITP
· International keynote speech by Wojciech Bartelski, CEO, Warsaw Transit, Poland
09:15 - 10:30 Session 01 - Shifting to Rail: Bold new projects
This session will feature some of the brightest, largest, most transformative LRT projects from around the globe and offer a unique opportunity to discuss recent experiences with planning, design, construction, and service start-up stages.
Moderator: Andrew Bata
· Remo Bucci, Deloitte and John Manconi, OC Transpo - Ottawa Confederation Line LRT - lessons learned
· Rick Clarke, Director of Capital Construction, LA Metro - Mega projects in Los Angeles
· Speaker to be confirmed, Société de transport de Montréal (STM) - The Montreal REM Project
10:45 - 12:00 Session 04 - Digitalization and the latest in new technologies
This session will address the most recent technological and organizational innovations that are set to transform the business of the transit and LRT industries. Digitalization is at the core of such innovations.
Moderator: Laurent Dauby
· Michael Rüffer, CTO, VGF, Franfurt-am-Main, Germany - From driver assistance and collision avoidance towards automation and driverless LRT
· Stephan Lewisch, COO, Wiener Linien, Vienna, Austria - Mobility as a Service (MaaS) - the pioneering experience of Vienna
· Martine Chlela, SNC-Lavalin - Cyber security of our digitized light rail and transit systems
· Josipa Petrunic, CEO, CUTRIC - Next generation rail innovations in Canada: Outcomes of a national consultation process
11:00 - 11:00 Remembrance Day moment of silence
12:15 - 12:45 Lunchbox Pickup
12:45 - 15:45 CUTA's first-ever data blitz!
13:00 - 15:45 Technical tours
· Operations Control Centre
· Stoney Transit Facility (CNG Garage)
· MAX Purple - 17 Ave S. E. Transitway
· Oliver Bowen Maintenance Facility LRT
· Calgary Transit Access Operations Centre
16:00 - 17:15 Session 07 - LRT operational excellence
This session will offer an insight into clever ideas and operational practices that help make LRT transit the mode of choice, focusing on customer service, safety, information, and design.
Moderator: To be confirmed, UITP
· Jörn Schwarze, CTO, KVB, Cologne, Germany - How a new Intermodal Transport Control Systems (ITCS) capabilities enhance most operational functions, from planning to passenger information and maintenance.
· Grzegorz Madrjas, Warsaw Tramway - Improving operations with traffic light priority: the case of Warsaw
· David Dimmer, Thales Canada - How signaling technology supports high quality operation of LRT Projects
· Elie Dagher, Comtech Group - Transformative LRT projects in Canada
Tuesday Nov 12, 2019
07:30 - 09:00 Networking breakfast
09:00 - 17:00 UITP Light Rail Committee Meeting (by invitation only)
09:00 - 15:00 Canadian Transit Show
The Canadian Transit Show is Canada's foremost exhibition of bus, coach, rail and transit-related goods and services. An impressive number of exhibitors will be there with many new and returning companies. As always, the transit show offers plenty of opportunities to network with colleagues and industry suppliers, catch up with old acquaintances and build new partnerships. Come and join us.
Wednesday Nov 13, 2019
08:00 - 09:30 Breakfast and 2019 CUTA Awards Ceremony
09:30 - 10:45 Session 11 - Funding and financing
LRT projects are capital intensive and require long planning and construction processes. It is increasingly recognized that the traditional sources of funding (taxpayer and users) are no longer enough to allow breakthroughs, not only for greenfield projects but also for modernization and asset replacement.
Moderator: To be confirmed, UITP
· Johan Havenland, CFO, Bergen, Norway - Design optimization and TCO reduction
· Speaker to be confirmed, Queensland, Australia - Hitting gold!
· Russell Davies, Calgary Transit - Calgary Transit: Plans and issues for extension
· Richard Wong, Chief of Vehicles, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - Toronto LRT fleet renewal
11:00 - 12:15 Session 15 - Rail Closing Session
Moderator: Marco D'Angelo, CEO, Canadian Urban Transit Association
· Jonathan Fox, Crossrail2, London, UK - A view from London, England
· Adam Giambrone, Project Manager, SAPTCO Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Major Transit Plans for Riyadh
· Closing remarks by Michael Thompson, Calgary Transit and Laurent Dauby, UITP
12:15 - 13:30 Closing lunch
This year our International Rail Forum for North America will be held as a part of CUTA 2019 Annual Conference and Transit Show.
For UITP members (eligible for the CUTA member rate) - please contact email@example.com
For Non-UITP members – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Early Bird”: Member: $995 CAD. Non-member: $2300 CAD (vendor), $1095 CAD (government/transit system).
After October 1: Member: $1,095 CAD. Non-member: $2,300 CAD (vendor), $1,195 CAD (government/transit system).
Late registration: As of November 4, a $50 CAD late fee will apply.
For all practical information please visit CUTA 2019 Annual Conference and Transit Show