Our training is recommended by former participants:
"A must-attend programme to understand the fundamentals of public transport. ***** stars to the programme."
Anonymous (Fundamentals 2014, Singapore)
"A very useful programme, helps clarify and organise knowledge about public transport in general as well as about some specific topics.Very enjoyable three days in Brussels!" Artur Zawadzki - Better Public Transport, Ireland (Fundamentals 2016, Brussels)
The training programme Public Transport Fundamentals is a 3 day training designed for newcomers in the public transport sector.
- Provide participants with fundamental knowledge on public transport and sustainable urban mobility
- Increase awareness on the indispensability of public transport and sustainable mobility solutions in cities
- Allow exchange of knowledge by tapping on UITP's international expertise
- Present and discuss basic definitions related to the organisation and management of public transport and illustrate them with examples
- Provide a conducive platform for networking opportunities and interaction amongst participants
- Both Junior and experienced staff
- Professionals entering the field of public transport (less than 2 years' experience in public transport)
- Applicants must have a good command of English to appreciate the programme
- Participate to interactive plenary sessions with introduction by course leaders, presentations by the trainer and open discussions with participants
- Put your concepts in application by means of workshops
- Exchange with your peers on current practices and your very own experience
- Each theme will be approached as followed:
- Basic principles and conceptual approach
- State of the art development and innovations
- Good practices examples
- Interactive exchange between participants and groups discussion with public transport specialists
UITP Training Programmes and all related processes are certified for ISO29990:2010 – the standard for learning services for non-formal education and training.
Our skillful trainers are composed of UITP lecturers and international experts
Trainers will be:
- Mr Rob MAYO, Managing Director, MH Consulting
Mr Rob MAYO, Managing Director, MH Consulting
*UITP reserves the right to make amendments to the programme or any related activity
Session 1: Setting the scene: the indispensability of public transport and urban mobility trends
- Why Public transport?
- Challenges and opportunities at global and urban levels
- Contribution to economic, environmental and social policies
- Mega-trends and impact on urban mobility and public transport
Session 2: Public Transport & the city: integrated policies to achieve sustainable mobility
- The three pillars of sustainable mobility in cities
- Integration of public transport and urban planning
- Demand management (control and pricing of car use and parking)
- Development of the public transport offer
Session 3: Public transport modes and innovation
- Introduction to modes rail, metro, light rail and bus
- Bus systems, BRT and new energies
- Tramways and Light rail systems
- Metro, automated metros, suburban railways
- Other modes
- Comparison of modes and modal choice
Sessions 4: Combined Mobility
- Development of alternative mobility services: taxi, car sharing, bike sharing, carpooling, TNC/ride sharing, micro-mobility etc.
- Integration and Mobility as a Service (MaaS)
Session 5: Public transport regulation and organisation
- Organisational principles and forms
- Advantages and limits of different forms of organisation
- Decision levels
- Regulatory frameworks and right of initiative
- Competition for the market
Session 6: Human Resources in public transport
- Corporate Management
- HR challenges in public transport today
Session 7: Marketing in public transport
Session 8: Funding in Public Transport
- Revenue strategy Funding: a business case for public transport
- and fare policy
- Earmarked taxes and levies
- Land value capture
Sessions 9: Security in public transport
- Security: Top Threats - terrorism - security concept - prevention - preparedness and response - recovery – communication
Session 10: Ticketing and information technology
- Overview of practices and trends
- Understanding electronic, mobile and account based ticketing
- Travel information
Session 11: Contractual arrangements between authorities and operators
- The use of contracts
- Types of contracts
- Share of risks and contractual arrangements
- Quality incentives in contracts
Early Bird until 06/03/2020
Member « developing nations »*
Non-member « developing nations »*
Group UITP Member (4 or +)
Group UITP Member (4 or +) « developing nations »*
Group UITP non Member (4 or +)
Group UITP non Member (4 or +) « developing nations »*
* Participants from developing nations benefit from a special discount. Check here the list of eligible countries.
* Registration fee will be invoiced by LTA after completion of online registration here.
Terms and Conditions
Course fee will include training materials, lunches and coffee breaks.
Please note fees do not include visa application or arrangement. Please contact your local travel agent or local embassy for travel visa to Singapore, if applicable.
Participants are also required to make their own arrangement of accommodation in Singapore, airport transfers and daily travel from hotel to the training venue.
Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply for participants from Singapore.
**Registration fees are transferable to another employee of the same organization but it is non-refundable.
Registration is on first-come-first-served basis as there is limited capacity for the training programme. All payment must be paid to LTA on or before 25 March 2020 to confirm a placement in the programme.
For group registration and/or enquiry about training fee invoicing, visa, logistics, etc., please contact LTA:
SIAN Chean Chin (Mr)
Phone: +65 6585 5781
Land Transport Authority
LTA Bedok Campus | 71 Chai Chee Street | Singapore 468981
Mr Rob MAYO, Managing Director, MH Consulting