With most metropolitan areas targeting zero-emission environments, an increasing number of cities and transport companies are considering a fully-electric solution for their urban bus network. In this context, UITP Asia-Pacific, in cooperation with Shenzhen Bus Group Co., Ltd. (SZBG), designed and organized this training programme & study tour on Electric Buses.
Similar to previous trainings, the programme will provide a classroom training in Shenzhen, and offer a study tour covering Shenzhen and Zhengzhou to provide participants a rewarding experience to visit the Chinese city with significant electric bus usage, and the home for the top electric bus manufacturer in China.
The course will offer a comprehensive overview of the electric solution for urban bus networks, from the setting of a city strategy, the choice of technology and the battery, the procurement of buses, all the way to the implementation and operation of the system. In addition to our interactive plenary sessions, workshops will allow participants to apply their learnings in small groups.
The training and all training materials will be provided in English.
- Introduce the electric solution, the different types of technologies and compare their benefits and drawbacks
- Understand how to get value from electric buses looking at their economic, environmental and societal feasibility
- Experience sharing on charging Infrastructure and Interoperability
- Understand the implications for operations and maintenance
- e-fleet Scheduling and Management
- Discuss the performance of an electric bus solution with a practical application during our dedicated workshop
- Project managers, engineers and other professionals eager to learn more about the technology, the implementation and the running of electric buses
- Staff from public transport or authorities planning to extend a fully-electric solution to the core part of the urban bus network
- Staff from the bus industry worldwide involved in the market uptake of electric buses
- Professionals interested in obtaining a wider and international perspective on electric buses and eager to learn more from international best practice
- Get inspired by our trainers, understand the main aspects of electric buses and learn from successful best practice
- Participate to interactive plenary sessions with introduction by course leaders, presentation by the trainer and open discussion with participants
- Challenge your practical knowledge on the technology, the implementation and the running of electric buses
- Address the topic from an international perspective, enriched by different cultural approaches and points of views
- Participate to workshops allowing you to apply on a concrete case the main principles and tools learned
- Benefit from a unique exchange of knowledge and experience between professionals
UITP Training Programmes and all related processes are certified for ISO29990:2010 – the standard for learning services for non-formal education and training.
Our skillful trainers are composed of international experts and professionals with extensive experience and knowledge in the strategic, operational and technological areas of electric buses.
Session 1: Asset Management & Bus Maintenance
- Introduction ASSET MANAGEMENT
- Bus Maintenance Issues
- Planning and Tools
- In house vs. OURSOURCING
- Key Performance Indicators
Introduction of Group Exercise
Session 2: Spare parts and obsolescence management
- Spare Parts and ILS
- New technologies and validation
- Spare Parts Management Tools
Technical visit to Bus Depot & Maintenance & Parts Inventory
- Explain maintenance planning, execution
Session 3: Key issues for Bus Depot Design and Bus Workshop
- Principles of Bus Depot Locations
- Depot lay out and Bus circulation examples
- Operations, office and functions
Session 3: Key issues for Bus Depot and Workshop (continued)
- Refuel and washing
- Workshop equipments
Group exercise: Bus Maintenance Management
- Maintenance planning, KPIs, Predictive & Condition Based Maintenance
Session 4: Introduction to Busses
- Developments on (Urban) Buses
- The Energy (fuel) choice
- Emissions and SORT
- New Innovations, Electric buses
- Electrification, e-drive lines
- Battery Technology
- Charging Systems
- The fuel cell principle
Session 5A : Life Cycle Cost Management
- Costs, LCC, TCO
- How to measure, how to use
- LCC Examples
Session 5B : Introduction to Bus Procurement
- Business Models
Group Exercise: Life Cycle Cost (LCC)
Session 5C: Procurement & Commissioning of Buses
- The UITP Bus Tender Procedure
- Tender structure & tender specifications
- UITP supporting tools
Session 5D: Tender Documents
- Evaluation methods
- Groupwork / Workshops
- Overview of trials
Group Work & Group Presentations & Panel Discussion
*UITP reserves the right to make amendments to the programme or any related activity.
This programme is kindly hosted by SZBG.
Shenzhen Bus Group Co., Ltd. (SZBG), founded in 1975, is a state-owned public transportation operator. It is the first and the largest comprehensive public transport operator in Shenzhen, China. With close to 30,000 employees, we operate 346 bus routes, and own a fleet of 12,813 vehicles (including 6,053 pure electric buses and 4,681 pure electric taxis). Currently we operate a comprehensive 108 charging stations with 1,704 chargers within a total depot area of 940,000 square meters. The Group became the largest pure electric vehicle operator in the world after achieving full electrification for buses in 2017 and taxis in 2018.
In 2017, SZBG became the first public transport operator from China to sit on the Bus Committee of International Association of Public Transportation (UITP). It also currently holds the chairmanship for the Taxi and Ride-hailing Committee of UITP. In June of 2019, SZBG was conferred with the “Outstanding Achievement” Award of UITP for the commissioning of 100% pure electric bus fleet.