United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has announced the names of the 12 members of his High-level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport, which includes UITP Secretary General Alain Flausch.
The Group has been set up to “promote accelerated implementation of sustainable transport, aligned closely with the objectives of inclusive and equitable growth, social development, protection of the global environment and ecosystems, and addressing climate change.”
It will provide recommendations on sustainable transport actionable at global, national, local and sector levels.
Established for a period of three years, the Group will work with governments, transport providers (including aviation, marine, ferry, rail, road, and urban public transport), businesses, financial institutions, civil society and other stakeholders to promote sustainable transport systems and their integration into development strategies and policies, including in climate action and sustainable development.
Ban Ki-moon has appointed Olof Persson, Chief Executive Officer of the Volvo Group and Carolina Tohá, Mayor of Santiago, Chile, as Co-Chairs of the Advisory Group. The full list of panel members is available below.
“I look forward to working together with you to help fight poverty and climate change and contribute to future sustainable development goals by advancing sustainable transport across the world” said Ban Ki-moon in a letter to the 12 members of the group, who include experts in business, transportation, finance, shipping and urban planning.
The initiative is the latest in a series of moves made by the UN Secretary General to advance climate action in the build-up to the UN Climate Summit, where transport is set to be a critical issue.
The group is expected to meet for the first time in the coming months and will submit a progress report to the Secretary-General in the second half of next year.
UN Secretary-General’s High-Level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport
- Olof Persson: Chief Executive Officer of the Volvo Group, Co-Chair
- Carolina Tohá: Mayor of Santiago, Chile, Co-Chair
- Frank Appel: Chief Executive Officer of Deutsche Post DHL
- Milica Bajic-Brkovic: President of the International Society of City and Regional Planners.
- Morten Engelstoft: CEO of Services & Other Shipping,
- Alain Flausch: Secretary-General of the International Association of Public Transport (UITP)
- Maty Mint Hamady: Mayor of Nouakchott
- Patrick Ho: Deputy Chairman and Secretary-General of China Energy Fund Committee
- Victor Kiryanov: Deputy Minister of Interior of the Russian Federation.
- Jean Pierre Loubinoux: Director-General of the International Union of Railways
- Tanya Müller García: Secretary of Environment of Mexico City
- Len Roueche: Chief Executive Officer of Interferry
Further information is available on the UN website.
Contact: Philip Turner, Sustainable Development Manager - email@example.com