The aim of the TransITS-network was to bring together all actors in the ITS-sector, in order to have a relevant and open discussion on the future research axes and not at least to take initiatives in these new research axes.
The primary output of the network activity shall be the drafting of a work plan for a IPTS research programme for the coming years, based on the identification of research objectives and research priorities. Reports shall be also prepared on each of the three phases of investigation. Since these deliverables are based on a deep consultation process within the European industry, as well as extensive expert input, they were supposed to have the potential to form the basis of the preparation of dedicated Network of Excellence or Integrated Projects within the 6th and consecutive Framework Programmes.
The key objectives of TransITS were:
- to establish a network reflective of the European urban and regional public transport sector;
- to advance the available tools and implementation of Intelligent Public Transport systems;
- to develop a research workplan for consideration in the 6th FP and subsequent programs.
- Duration: July 2002 – December 2003
- Coordinator: UITP, International Association for Public Transport
- Partners: FRAUNHOFER, ETTS, TRENECON COWI, RESEAUX SCIENTIFIQUE ET TECHNIQUE DU MINISTERE DE L'EQUIPEMENT, DES TRANSPORTS ET DU LOGEMENT