- Integrated land-use & transport
Why focus on appraisal?
In recent years the economic appraisal of transport schemes has become an ever-more essential part of their development. Increasing constraints on public funding and the sheer volume of competing schemes across the whole sphere of government (or even within transport) require public transport scheme promoters to provide sound and thorough analyses justifying the scheme’s value for money.
Public transport appraisal:
- Helps decision-making by assessing schemes and policies against possible alternative solutions (option generation, testing and selection) and against local, regional and national policy goals;
- Helps develop and prioritise transport strategies and policy packages;
- Helps monitor the outcomes of individual scheme and broader transport strategy implementation;
- Increases public acceptance by making the decision-making process transparent.