Future Secure and Accessible Rail Stations
The FAIR Stations project aims to develop solutions for improved users flow within the station and at the platform train interface (PTI). This puts customer satisfaction, security and safety at the centre of the station design, while paying particular attention to needs of passengers with reduced mobility (PRM).
For benchmarking, the project consortium conducts a study on the state of the art station designs. The key elements of future stations design are design for security & safety, design for congestion, design for accessibility. Tools to be applied include:
- User needs assessment;
- User flow modelling;
- Station design algorithm that optimises passenger flows for continuing and emerging operational design requirements such as security, baggage handling, and accessibility;
- Engineering design of a train and/or platform based mechanism to facilitate independent boarding and alighting of PRMs, using sensors/detection systems.
The key design factors to be considered are security, safety, baggage handling, ticketing, design for accessibility, information & signage, and climatology. KPIs developed will be used to evaluate and validated the design solutions. Since security is a major challenge highlighted, the station design process will incorporate a risk assessment sub-routine. As part of the demonstration, experimental and institutes will be conducted. Additionally, a 3D virtual reality demonstrator will be developed.
The project gathers eight partners. UITP’s role in FAIR Stations includes identification of user needs and expectations, including requirements for PRMs; benchmarking of station designs and accessibility where UITP leads the review of past research and projects; and participating in the evaluation & validation of the developed design concepts.
- Duration: September 2017 – August 2019
- Budget: 1.19M € (1.19M € EU-funded)
- Coordinator: STAM SRL
- Partners: UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, METRO DE MADRID SA, TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET WIEN, SIIT SOCIETA CONSORTILE PER AZIONI SIGLABILE SIIT SCPA, APF SOLUCIONES DE GESTION S.L., ILUNION ACCESIBILIDAD, ESTUDIOS Y PROYECTOS S.A., UNION INTERNATIONALE DES TRANSPORTS PUBLICS.
More information: www.fairstations.eu
Contact: Daria Kuzmina
FAIR Stations is co-funded by the European Union under Horizon 2020, Research and Innovation Directorate General under Grant Agreement n° 777636.